- 12 large garlic cloves, peeled and smashed with side of a large heavy knife
- 3/4 cup whole milk plus additional for thinning sauce
- 1 (2-oz) can flat anchovies (56 g; about 12 fillets), drained
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Combine garlic and milk in a 1- to 1 1/2-quart heavy saucepan and gently simmer over low heat, uncovered, until garlic is very tender, about 20 minutes. Cool slightly, about 5 minutes, then purée mixture with anchovies, oil, and mayonnaise in a blender until smooth. (Use caution when blending hot liquids.) Add more milk to thin if necessary.