Ingredients: 5 cups water,10 bags of black tea (I used a mixture of orange pekoe and English breakfast),2 cinnamon sticks,1 vanilla bean, sliced in half,½ cup brown sugar,12 whole cloves,9 cardamon pods,½ Tsp freshly ground nutmeg,2 star anise pods,½ Tsp black peppercorns,8 corriander seeds,½ Tsp ground allspice,1 Tbsp orange zest,1 inch piece of ginger, sliced into discs,1 Tbsp. honey (optional)
- In a large pot, bring water to a rapid boil.
- Add tea bags, spices, orange zest and ginger. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in honey and let stand 10 minutes.
- Line a sieve with cheesecloth and strain concentrate. Discard spices.
- Store concentrate in a sealable container in the fridge for up to two weeks.
- To make Chai tea combine 1/3 cup of concentrate with warm milk(or soy/nut milk).
- Concentrate can also be mixed in with a number of recipes. Try mixing it with cookie batter for chai spiced cookies or mix with seltzer water for a chai soda!