Life’s peaches and cream with chocolate and ginger baked peaches
- 3 pieces of stem ginger , finely chopped
- 85.0g dark chocolate , coarsely grated or finely chopped
- 6 peaches , firm but ripe
- 50.0g butter
- 12 gingernut biscuits
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp sweet dessert wine or marsala
- 150.0ml white wine
- Preheat the oven to fan 160C/conventional 180C/gas 4. Butter a large, shallow ovenproof dish. Cut the peaches in half and remove the stones, then stand the peaches cut-side up in the dish.
- Put the ginger biscuits into a tough plastic bag, seal the bag and bash the biscuits with a rolling pin until they’re roughly crushed. Tip them into a bowl and mix in the chocolate, two-thirds of the chopped ginger, the egg yolk, dessert wine and orange zest until everything is evenly mixed.
- Divide the mixture equally between the peach halves, mounding it into the holes left by the stones. Pour the white wine around the peaches, dot them with the butter and bake for 20 minutes, or until tender. (This can be made up to a day ahead, kept in the fridge once cool, then gently reheated, in two batches, on Medium in the microwave for 4-5 minutes each batch.) To serve, spoon over the cooking juices and scatter with the remaining ginger. Serve warm.