Ingredients: 2 red grapefruit,2 naval oranges,1 bundle (about a pound) of fresh asparagus, ends snapped off, cut into 1-inch pieces,1 T. fresh lemon juice,2 t.finely minced shallot,1 T. chopped fresh mint,6 T. extra-virgin olive oil,1/2 t. salt,freshly ground black pepper,2 c. cooked red quinoa,5 oz. package of spring greens,1/3 c. crumbled feta cheese,1/4 c. pepitas, lightly toasted
- Using a sharp knife, cut the ends off one of the grapefruit.
- Cut away the peel and white pith, following the natural curve of the fruit with your knife. Then cut the peeled grapefruit lengthwise into quarters, then slice into 1/4-inch slices. Repeat this process with one of the oranges. Set the cut fruit aside in a bowl.
- With the remaining grapefruit and orange, squeeze 2 T. juice from each fruit.
- Combine grapefruit and orange juice with the lemon juice, shallot, mint, olive oil, salt and a few grindings of fresh black pepper.
- Whisk to emulsify, set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan fitted with a steamer basket, bring a couple of inches of water to a boil, add the asparagus and steam for about 5 minutes, until just becoming tender. Immediately plunge the asparagus into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking.
- Drain and pat briefly with paper towel. In a medium bowl, toss asparagus with 1 1/2 T. of the dressing. In another bowl, toss quinoa with 1/4 c. of the dressing.
- To assemble the salad: toss the salad greens with half of the remaining dressing. Heap the quinoa in the center of a large bowl, layer the asparagus and citrus over the salad.
- Sprinkle with the feta and pepitas and drizzle with the remaining dressing.