- 6 eggs, (preferably free-range)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter (or olive oil)
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin seed (zeera)
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh cilantro/coriander (both leaves&stems), finely chopped
- 2-3 thai bird chillies, sliced straight into the mixture in the pan with kitchen shears.
- Break the eggs into a bowl, add salt and whisk lightly together, just enough so that the yolks combine with the whites.
- Place pan over a fairly medium heat, add the butter (or olive oil) and tilt the pan from side to side so the pan is coated evenly. As soon as the butter stops foaming and begins to turn a nutty brown, add the onions and stir for 5-7 minutes till soft and golden.
- Add the cumin seeds and fry for 2 minutes till aromatic.
- To this, add the tomatoes and stir till warmed over and slightly soft. Turn the heat to low.
- Add cilantro, the egg mixture and chilies.
- Continue to stir the eggs swiftly, for another 5-7 minutes, until they are at the point of setting and resemble a soft custard. Make sure to keep scraping the bottom and sides of the pan. Serve immediately; while warm and creamy.