Ingredients: 12 ounces (dry) jumbo pasta shells (whole wheat if available),12 ounces turkey Italian sausage (3 links), casing removed,1 large onion, diced,3 cloves garlic, minced,2 cups water,14 1/2 ounces stewed tomatoes,6 ounces tomato paste,15 ounces non-fat or reduced fat ricotta,1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella, divided,1 cup shredded Parmesan, divided,1/4 cup fresh basil, cut chiffonade,3 egg whites
- Prepare shells according to package directions minus 2 minutes (the shells will finish in the sauce) and drain.
- Lay the shells out on foil or a backing sheet so that they don't stick together. Discard any that are broken.
- Meanwhile, in a sautee pan over medium-high heat, brown the sausage.
- Drain any excess fat and add the onion. Continue to cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add water, stewed tomatoes and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine ricotta, 1/2 cup mozzarella, 1/2 cup Parmesan, basil and egg whites.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spay a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with non stick. Fill shells with about 1 tablespoon of the cheese mixture each and place in a tight single layer in the baking dish.
- Pour the ragu over the shells and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Cover and bake until the sauce is bubbling, about 30 minutes.
- Remove, uncover and let stand about 10 minutes.