In this vibrant green dish, the bitterness of broccoli rabe comes in second place to the sweetness of the peas and the comforting familiarity of olive oil and garlic.
- 1 (3/4- to 1-lb) bunch broccoli rabe
- 10 oz frozen peas (about 2 cups)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, peeled and lightly smashed with side of a large knife
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Trim stem ends from broccoli rabe and discard. Cut remainder crosswise into 1 1/2-inch pieces.
- Cook broccoli rabe and peas in a 4- to 6-quart pot of boiling salted water until broccoli rabe is wilted and stems are crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain well in a colander.
- Heat oil with garlic in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat, turning garlic frequently, until garlic is golden, 1 to 2 minutes, then discard garlic.
- Add broccoli rabe, peas, salt, and pepper to skillet and sauté, stirring, until well coated with garlic oil, about 2 minutes.