They’re flakier and lighter than your usual biscuits because we’ve replaced some of the butter with the carotenoid-filled root vegetable. Stash any extras for a hearty Black Friday breakfast.
- 1 medium sweet potato (about 5 ounces)
- 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat biscuit mix
- 2 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup lowfat buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Wrap sweet potato in a paper towel. Microwave on high until soft, 4 minutes. Scoop flesh into a bowl and mash; set aside. Heat oven to 400°F. Place biscuit mix and butter in a bowl; rub butter into mix with fingertips until large pea-sized crumbs form. Add sweet potato, buttermilk and allspice; mix until just combined. Transfer dough onto a cookie sheet and form into a 12″ x 4″ rectangle. Cut into 8 rectangles with a serrated knife and separate slightly. Bake until biscuits are firm to the touch, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Once cool, store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.