A Tuscan twist on this custard-like retro dessert, spiked with dessert wine.
- 3 egg yolks
- 30 grams of fine white sugar
- 150 ml of vin santo (Tuscan dessert wine)
- 1 tsp of cinnamon, optional
- 1 shot of rum or brandy, optional
- Whisk the yolks and sugar together in a heat-proof bowl until the mixture becomes pale and creamy. Add the vin santo and, if using, the shot of rum or brandy.
- Continue whisking with the bowl over a double broiler or bain marie for a few minutes (do not allow the water to touch the bottom of the pan so try to use a saucepan that is smaller than the bowl), until the mixture thickens. Take it off the heat just when you think it is almost ready – like many egg dishes, this is a delicate dish and will continue to cook a little even after you take it off the heat. If you like, some cinnamon can be added.
- Serve warm on its own, with biscotti or use it instead of cream or custard with your favourite desserts.