- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled, halved crosswise, and cut into 1-inch-thick wedges
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1. In a straight-sided 10-inch saute pan with a tight-fitting lid, combine sweet potatoes, butter, brown sugar, salt, pepper, and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring potatoes to coat with liquid.
- 2. Lower heat, cover, and simmer undisturbed, until potatoes are tender but not mushy, 12-15 minutes. Uncover and continue cooking, gently stirring a few times, until most of the liquid is evaporated and potatoes are caramelized, about 5 minutes more.