I’m always trying to come up with new recipes and this one is an adaptation of a tyrolean dessert which can be done with other grains such as rice and with any type of fruit (roasted apples and raspberries are also a good combination). This specific one uses amaranth, an ancient grain with fresh seasonal cherries. Hope you like it. – BacktoBasics
- 3/4 cups amaranth
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup cherries
- 2 stick of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Gently boil amaranth in 1¼ cup water along with cinnamon sticks for approximately 25 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. Let cool.
- Pre-heat the oven to 325 Fahrenheit.
- In a bowl mix egg-yolk, sugar, vanilla essence and amaranth.
- Whip egg-white and gently fold into the mass.
- In an overproof dish layer cherries and amaranth mix.
- Bake approximately 25-30 minutes at 350 Fahrenheit
- Can be served with a dollop of whipped cream and fresh raspberries and is also good room temperature.