- 8 ounces fresh button or cremini mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup plus 1 splash sweet Marsala wine, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- In a large skillet, sauté mushrooms in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil until lightly caramelized. Remove mushrooms from heat and set aside in a small bowl.
- Carefully slice each chicken breast lengthwise, making four thinner pieces of chicken total. Lightly salt and pepper the chicken breasts.
- Heat remaining olive oil in the same skillet and brown chicken breasts on each side until almost done (They will continue to cook in the sauce in Step 6.). Remove from skillet and keep warm.
- Deglaze the pan with the 1/2 cup Marsala wine. Add the garlic. Continue to cook until wine is reduced to be thick and syrupy (au sec).
- Add cream and reduce slightly. Add the broth and continue to reduce slightly until sauce coats the back of a spoon.
- Nestle chicken breasts into the skillet, add the mushrooms and spoon sauce over top. Simmer, uncovered, until chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving platter and keep warm.
- Swirl butter into the sauce remaining in the skillet, season to taste with salt and pepper, and allow to reduce slightly. Add a splash of Marsala wine to the sauce and pour over the chicken. Serve immediately with a side of linguine or risotto, if desired.