Put the kids to bed and break out these adult beverage–spiked frozen treats, ice cream sandwiches made from chocolate brownies made with chocolate stout beer. It’s up to you to decide how you want to fill them: caramel ice cream, vanilla bean, even—if you want to get extra beery—David Lebovitz’s Guinness–milk chocolate ice cream. Go a little crazy. What to buy: You want a chocolate stout with a delicious roasted barley flavor and a chocolate aroma that doesn’t overwhelm. We like Samuel Smith’s Organic Chocolate Stout.
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup chocolate stout beer
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/3 cups cake flour
- 1/3 cup natural cocoa powder
- 1 quart ice cream (flavor of your choice)
- 1Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350°F. Cover an 11-by-17-inch rimmed baking sheet with parchment and spray with cooking spray.
- 2In a saucepan, melt the butter and bittersweet chocolate over low heat, stirring often, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the stout and both sugars. Whisk in the eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Whisk in the vanilla and salt.
- 3Sift the flour and cocoa over the chocolate mixture and, using a rubber spatula, stir in until just blended.
- 4Pour onto the prepared baking sheet and spread evenly.
- 5Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out almost completely clean, about 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool completely, then place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- 6Let a quart of your favorite ice cream soften at room temperature until it’s malleable. Have a baking sheet ready. Cut the brownies into squares. Turn half of the brownie squares over (bottom-side up) and place a scoop of ice cream on each. Top with another brownie square, bottom-side down. Gently press together. Place the sandwiches on the prepared baking sheet and freeze until firm. Serve.
- Share on Facebook
- Share on Reddit
- Save (20)