Ingredients: 1/2 a large bunch of kale, cooked in salted boiling water for 5 or 10 minutes, till soft but still bright green.,1 cup chickpeas (I used canned, so rinsed and drained),2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/3 inch dice,Olive oil,1 shallot – finely diced,1 large clove garlic – minced,1 t. basil,1 t. basil,1/2 t. red pepper flakes (or to taste),1/2 cup beer,2 T golden raisins, soaked till soft and chopped,1 t. smoked paprika,1 t. cumin,Tbsp of butter,juice of 1 lime,salt & pepper
- Warm a few tablespoons of olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the shallots, garlic, red pepper and basil and cook till the shallots and garlic start to brown.
- Add the sweet potatoes and cook till they start to brown and soften.
- Add the beer. Cook till its thick and syrupy.
- Add the chickpeas, paprika, cumin, raisins and about 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer till the sweet potato is nice and soft. You might need to add a cup or two more water as you go along, to keep it a consistency that you like.
- Chop the kale into small pieces and add to the stew. Cook until everything is mixed and hot through.
- Add the butter and lime juice and season with salt and pepper.