- 1 small leek, remove outer leaves and rinse well. Finely chop
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- cup ¾ pearl barley
- 1 2/3 cups vegetable or beef broth
- cup dry white wine
- Grated Parmesan for garnish, Salt & Pepper to taste.
- Add oil to large nonstick skillet (that has a lid) and heat over medium heat until hot. Add chopped leek, mushrooms and garlic. Sauté until mushrooms are tender.
- Add uncooked barley, broth, and wine; bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat; simmer 15 to 18 minutes or until barley is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 5 – 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese and salt and pepper to taste.