Ingredients: 1 1/2 cups dried prunes,2 cups all-purpose flour,3/4 cups sugar,1 tsp baking soda,½ tsp salt,1 egg,2 tablespoons melted shortening
- In medium saucepan, combine pitted prunes with 1 cup water, bring to boiling. Reduce heat, and simmer, covered. 10 minutes.Preheat oven 350 degrees.Sift flour with sugar, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- Drain prunes, reserving liquid. Chop prunes or place in food processor and give a few good chops.
- Add to reserved liquid, and measure.
- Add water if needed to make 2 cups.In a large bowl combine egg and shortening: with electric mixer at medium speed, beat well.
- Add prune mixture: beat until well blended.
- Add flour mixture: beat at low speed just until smooth. Turn into prepared pan.
- Bake 50-60 minutes, or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan: cool completely on rack. Wrap in plastic film or foil, and refrigerate overnight before slicing.