- 3 pounds coarse sea salt, pink salt, or rock salt (or a combination)
- 4 red finger peppers, split lengthwise, plus thin slices for serving
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 1 head garlic, cloves separated and smashed
- 5 cinnamon sticks
- 12 whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 3 pounds shell-on, head-on jumbo shrimp (about 10 per pound), preferably wild, deveined if desired
- Melted unsalted butter or drawn butter, for serving
- 1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Combine salt, finger peppers, lemons, garlic, cinnamon, cloves, and peppercorns in a 3-quart baking dish. Roast until hot and fragrant, about 15 minutes. Spoon two-thirds of salt mixture into a heatproof bowl. Layer shrimp into baking dish, spooning salt mixture from bowl over shrimp in between layers, then sprinkling shrimp with remaining salt mixture.
- 2. Roast until shrimp are firm to the touch and just opaque throughout, 13 to 17 minutes. Carefully remove a few lemon wedges; brush off excess salt and squeeze lemon juice into butter, then add pepper slices. Serve shrimp immediately, with butter on the side.