- 6 cups sweet cherries (about 3½ pounds or 1.5 kilos)
- ⅔ cup (134g) sugar
- ¼ cup (30g) cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Juice of one lemon
- Prepared sweet pie crust for 1 double-crust pie.
- Preheat the oven to 350F/175C.
- Pit and stem the cherries.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar and cornstarch. Add the cherries, and stir well to coat with the sugar-cornstarch mixture. Stir in the vanilla extract and the lemon juice.
- Roll out slightly more than half of the dough and use it line a 9 inch (about 22cm) pie pan. Pour in the cherry mixture. Roll out the remaining dough and place it over the the pan. Press the edges together to seal. Cut several slits through the top crust to vent.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbling. Rotate halfway through for even baking.