These sweet and spicy baked sweet potato fries are easy to make, healthy and crispy! These fries are spiced with chili powder, garlic and paprika and have a hint of sweetness from brown sugar. There are a lot of baked recipes out there, but this one is crispy and full of flavor!
- 2 sweet potatoes (about 1 and 1/2 pounds)
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch (or arrow root powder)
- ¼ cup coconut oil (canola or olive oil works too)
- 3 Tbsp light brown sugar
- ½ tsp garlic power
- 1 tsp red chili pepper
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp smoked sweet paprika
- Place 2 racks near the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone pads. Set aside.
- Wash and peel the potatoes. Using a sharp knife, cut off the ends. Cut the potatoes into 1/4 inch wide slices. Then again into french fry like strips. Place the potato strips into a large bowl and toss with the cornstarch. Dump the potatoes into a strainer and give it a good shake to get rid of any extra cornstarch. Discard any remaining cornstarch. Place potatoes back into the bowl and add the coconut oil, brown sugar, garlic powder, chili powder, salt, and paprika.
- Line up the potatoes on the baking sheet. Make sure to leave space in between so the fries can crisp up. Putting them too close together will cause them to steam instead of crisp. Bake the fries for 15 minutes. Remove the fries, and give them a flip. At this time rotate the baking sheet when placing back into the oven. Continue to bake for another 10 – 12 minutes. Turn the oven off, open the door just a crack and keep the fries inside for about 30 minutes. This step helps ensure crispier fries. Remove from oven and let sit for another 5 minutes. Enjoy!