For those who haven’t tried this popular Thai dessert, it’s this beautiful pairing of fresh ripe Thai honey mango slices with sticky glutinous rice cooked in sweetened coconut milk.
- ½ cup of sticky, glutinous rice
- ½ cup of thin coconut milk (see notes)
- ½ cup of thick coconut milk
- 2 tbsp of coconut cream (optional)
- 3 tbsp of sugar (adjust to taste)
- ½ tsp of salt
- 1 sweet, ripe mango (preferably thai honey mango)
- 2 tsp of sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
- Soak the rice for 30 minutes and add the thin coconut milk to it (do not drain the soaking water).
- Simmer on a low flame until the rice is cooked and soft. You can add some water if the rice gets too dry while cooking.It will become quite mushy as it cookes and gets softer.
- Meanwhile, simmer the thick coconut milk with the sugar and salt on very low flame…… until it starts to bubble up.
- Add this to the cooked rice and mix well.
- Keep covered for 15-30 mins until the rice has fully absorbed the coconut milk mixture.
- You can check for sweetness at this time and add more sugar if needed.
- That’s it! Serve the rice warm with chilled mango pieces with some drizzling of coconut cream on top (if using) and some sesame seeds.