These are tender, perfect, and all-around wonderful chocolate vegan cupcakes. Change the look and flavor by topping with any frosting, glaze, or filling you like (Vegan Fluffy Buttercream Frosting is especially delicious). We’ve even been known to whip up an unadorned batch to serve with glasses of cold soy milk when the need arises for good, honest chocolate cake.
- 1 cup plain unsweetened soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract, peppermint extract, or additional vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 recipe Vegan Fluffy Buttercream Frosting (see recipe intro)
- 1Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle Line a muffin pan with paper or foil liners.
- 2Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl; set aside for a few minutes for the milk to curdle. Add the sugar, oil, vanilla extract, and additional extract and beat until foamy. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add in two batches to wet ingredients and beat until no large lumps remain (a few tiny lumps are fine).
- 3Pour into liners, filling 3/4 of the way. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
- Share on Facebook
- Share on Reddit
- Save (347)