TipWhy Do We Celebrate Christmas on Dec. 25?
There are several reasons Christmas is celebrated on Dec. 25. The date is nine months after March 25, a day recognized by Christians as Annunciation. It was the day Mary was told she would was having a baby. The nine months that follow are an approximation of Jesus’ birth. Dec. 25 also coincides with pagan Winter Solstice celebrations like Saturnalia’ and Dies Natalis Solis Invicti. Since they were historically celebrated around that time of year there was precedent for holiday festivities during this time of year.
1 of 3
Next: What Does the Name ‘Christmas’ Mean and What Is the Meaning of Christmas?
TipWhat Does the Name ‘Christmas’ Mean and What Is the Meaning of Christmas?
Christmas is a shortened from the words “Christ’s mass.” It’s derived from the Middle English word “Cristemasse” which has Greek, Hebrew and Latin origins. Christmas is an annual holiday that honors the birth of Jesus Christ. It is celebrated by Christians around the world and is regarded as an important religious and cultural holiday.
2 of 3
Next: How Can We Celebrate Christmas?
TipHow Can We Celebrate Christmas?
Christmas is traditionally celebrated in many ways and celebrations vary across cultures. In the days leading up to Christmas, people usually put up special decorations including colorful lights and evergreen trees. Gifts are often placed under the tree and exchanged on Christmas day among loved ones. Large meals are also typically served as part of the celebration as well.
3 of 3
Next: Why Do We Celebrate Christmas on Dec. 25?
Sweet potatoes need nothing more than a little seasoning and some time in the oven to be transformed into a satisfying side dish. Try them with our Honey-Mustard Glazed Ham for a tasty sweet-savory combination. This recipe was featured as part of our Thanksgiving for Beginners menu. For more root vegetable inspiration, see also How to Roast Beets and our classic, easy roast potatoes.
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- vegetable oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1Heat the oven to 450°F and arrange a rack in the upper third.
- 2Wash and scrub the sweet potatoes. Cut them into 1-1/4-inch chunks and place in a large bowl.
- 3Add the brown sugar, a few tablespoons of oil (just enough to coat), a few large pinches of salt, and a couple of pinches of pepper and mix until the sweet potatoes are evenly coated. Spread on a baking sheet in an even layer. Bake, stirring occasionally, until the sweet potatoes are lightly browned and roasted, about 30 minutes.
- Share on Facebook
- Share on Reddit
- Save (143)