- 1/2 cup (1 stick) earth balance vegan butter
- 1/4 cup (or 1/2 stick) earth balance vegan shortening
- 1 cup light or dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon (eq. to 1 egg) ener-g egg replacer mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- Pinch of tumeric
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 jar maraschino cherries drained
- Preheat oven to 375. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Mix your Egg Replacer and set aside.
- Take about 1/3 cup of maraschino cherries and drain them, then, cut them in half. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, add the vegan butter and shortening and chop up really well with a knife. Then, add brown sugar. This can get messy, but just follow along. Go ahead and try to mix this together with your hand blender. As it begins to piece up more–add the Egg Replacer–this will then help it blend more smoothly. Now add the vanilla extract, mix well with blender. Next, place all dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk together.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and mix in with your hands or a wooden spoon until mixture begins to form a dough. Next, stir in coconut and then pecans. Place extra pecans on a plate. Roll about a teaspoonful of dough into 1″ balls and then roll a bit in the pecans. Not necessarily to completely cover them, but just enough to add a nice touch. Place on cookie sheet and with your pinky or finger, press a hole into the dough–but not all the way through the cookie. Take a half (or whole) maraschino cherry and place in the hole. Space the cookies out about 2 inches. Bake for about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool about 2 minutes more. Remove from cookie sheet and place on a cooling rack. Enjoy!