Employ some clever tricks to achieve a dairy-free bake – egg-free mayonnaise, almond milk and margarine fit the bill
- 240g self-raising flour
- 140g golden caster sugar
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 240g egg-free mayonnaise
- 2 large or 3 small ripe banana, mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 25g vegan dark chocolate chip
- 80g vegan margarine
- 250g icing sugar
- 25ml vegan milk (we used almond milk)
- 2 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- Heat oven to 170C/150C fan/gas 31⁄2. Line muffin tins with 16 cases. In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, 1⁄2 tsp salt and bicarbonate of soda. In a second bowl or a jug, mix the mayonnaise, mashed bananas and vanilla extract. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix with a spoon until just combined (don’t overmix or your cupcakes will be heavy). Spoon the mixture into the cases and bake for 20 mins.
- When the cupcakes come out of the oven, sprinkle the chocolate chips over – they will melt and then harden again, so don’t touch them.
- For the icing, combine the vegan margarine and icing sugar in an electric mixer, then add the vegan milk and continue to mix on a slow speed until completely combined. Turn the mixer up and combine for a further 3 mins. Finally, stir in the peanut butter. Pipe or simply spread the icing on top of the cakes. Store in an airtight container and eat within 2 days.