These are the ultimate healthy breakfast muffin: delicious and fragrant and full of raisins, apples, carrots, and fresh date paste as a healthy sweetener. If you like a slightly sweeter muffin, add some sugar to the recipe (as instructed).
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flax meal
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour or whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, ground
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger (or 1 teaspoon ginger, ground)
- 1 cup date paste (https://food52.com/recipes/32650-date-paste)
- 1/2 cup organic sugar
- 1 cup soy or almond milk
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrot
- 1 small apple, grated
- Preheat your oven to 350° F. Line 12 muffin tins with liners, or oil them lightly.
- Mix the flax meal and warm water together; set the mixture aside to let it “gel.”
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in the raisins, walnuts, and ginger.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the date paste, sugar if desired, non-dairy milk, and oil. Stir in the flax mixture.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ones until everything is well incorporated, and then fold in the carrot and apple.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the muffins comes out clean. Allow them to cool before enjoying.