- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup pastry flour
- 3 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 cups vegan sugar or unbleached organic cane sugar
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup raw organic coconut oil, melted
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract or 2 vanilla beans, scraped
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line three baking pans with parchment paper and set aside.
- Whisk the flours, baking powder, salt and xanthan gum together in a medium bowl.
- Put the sugar, applesauce, coconut oil, grapeseed oil, vanilla and vinegar in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined, about 1 minute. Add the flour mixture to the bowl with the wet ingredients, alternating with 1/3 cup water, until fully combined. Fold in the chopped walnuts.
- Spoon heaping tablespoons (or a small scoop) of the dough onto the baking sheets, 1 inch to 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake the cookies in two batches, two sheets at a time, until the cookies are set and slightly browned around the edges, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool on the sheets for 2 minutes, and then remove to a rack and cool completely. Bake the remaining cookies on the third pan following the above directions.