- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole rolled gluten-free oats
- Set a saucepan over high heat. Pour in the milk and water. Add the salt and vanilla extract. Bring the liquids to a boil.
- When the milky water is boiling, pour in the oats. Stir quite vigorously. When the water returns to a boil, turn down the heat to low. Simmer the oats, stirring every few minutes, until the oats are creamy and plump, the liquid fully absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and cover the pan. Let the oatmeal sit for five minutes to fully absorb the liquid.
- Top with your favorite sweetener and fruit. (This one is maple syrup, peaches, and blackberries.)
- Variations: If you cannot eat dairy, almond milk or hemp milk work well here too.
- If you have a fresh vanilla bean, scrape the insides of it into the pot instead of vanilla extract. This will be the best oatmeal you have ever eaten.