A grown-up shaved ice, with a welcome hit of spice from the pepper.
- 2 pounds cantaloupe, rind and seeds removed, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup Muscat de Beaumes de Venise or other sweet dessert wine
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus coarsely ground for serving
- Purée cantaloupe, sugar, Muscat, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a blender until smooth. Transfer to a shallow baking dish and freeze mixture until edges begin to set, about 30 minutes.
- Using a fork, scrape mixture to break up frozen portions. Freeze, scraping and breaking up every 20–30 minutes, until mixture resembles fluffy shaved ice, 2–4 hours. Serve granita topped with coarsely ground pepper.
- Do ahead: Granita can be made 3 days ahead. Cover with plastic wrap and keep frozen. Scrape before serving.