- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more for the pizzas and oiling the grill
- 1 pound bulk breakfast sausage
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound frozen pizza dough, thawed
- 8 ounces sharp white Cheddar, shredded (about 3 heaping cups)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Hot sauce, for serving
- Prepare an outdoor grill for cooking over medium heat. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, stirring and breaking up with a wooden spoon, until browned and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, and use a slotted spoon to transfer the sausage to a plate.
- Reserving 2 tablespoons of drippings in the skillet (drain or add oil as needed), return it to medium-high heat. Whisk in the flour and cook, whisking frequently, until the mixture becomes loose and turns a light tan color, 1 to 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in the milk, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Simmer, whisking frequently, until the sauce has thickened to the consistency of thin gravy, 6 to 8 minutes. Return the cooked sausage to the skillet and stir. Remove from the heat, cover and set aside.
- Divide the pizza dough into 4 balls. Dust a clean flat work surface with flour, and roll each ball into an 8-inch circle. Transfer the dough circles to the prepared baking sheet, and brush both sides with oil.
- Lightly oil the grill grates. Grill the crusts until they start to puff and distinct grill marks appear on the underside, about 1 minute. Flip. Evenly divide the Cheddar among the crusts, leaving a small well empty in the center of each. Immediately crack 1 egg into each well. Grill, covered, until the whites have completely set and the Cheddar has melted, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, reheat the sausage gravy if needed. Remove the pizzas from the grill and drizzle each with a couple spoonfuls of warm gravy. Garnish with the scallions. Serve immediately with hot sauce and any remaining gravy served on the side.