Ingredients: 2 cups cream,6 egg yolks,2 Tbs instant coffee granules,2 cups milk,¾ cup sugar,1 Tbs vanilla extract
- Combine the cream, milk, sugar, and coffee in a medium, heavy saucepan
- Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat; remove from the heat and set aside.Beat the egg yolks in a medium bowl.
- Whisk 1 cup of the hot cream into the egg yolks.
- Add the vanilla extract.Gradually add the egg mixture in a slow, steady stream, to the hot cream
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until slightly thickened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and strain through a fine mesh strainer into a clean container.Cover with plastic wrap, pressing down against the surface to keep a skin from forming.Chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream machine and churn until frozen (according to the manufacturer's instructions).
- Transfer to plastic container and place in the freezer for a few hours before serving.Serving: take it out of the freezer for 5-10 minutes before serving, or longer, so it comes to the right scooping temperature.Easy suggestion: ice cream is best served in chilled glass or porcelain bowls. Scoop it with a hot, but dry, ice-cream spoon (soak it in boiling water, then wipe dry).