This refreshing, effervescent drink has the sweet flavor of chocolate milk without the dairy. For a grown-up variation, stir in 1-2 tablespoons of Kahluà or chilled espresso before shaking.
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dairy-free milk, such as coconut milk beverage, almond milk, or soy milk
- 1 tablespoon high-quality unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup sparkling water
- Heat milk, cocoa powder, sugar, and vanilla in a small saucepan over medium, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a rapid simmer, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in chocolate until melted and smooth. Let cool slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a cocktail shaker. Fill shaker with ice, cover, and shake vigorously until outside of shaker is very cold, about 20 seconds. Strain into a tall, thin glass filled with ice. Top with sparkling water, stir once, and serve.