Deeply rich and decadent, this dairy- and egg-free chocolate bake makes an indulgent vegan treat
- 80g vegan margarine, plus extra for greasing
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 120g dark chocolate
- ½ tsp coffee granules
- 125g self-raising flour
- 70g ground almond
- 50g cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 250g golden caster sugar
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 70g glacé cherry (rinsed and halved)
- Heat oven to 170C/150C fan/gas 31⁄2. Grease and line a 20cm square tin with baking parchment. Combine the flaxseed with 6 tbsp water and set aside for at least 5 mins.
- In a saucepan, melt the chocolate, coffee and margarine with 60ml water on a low heat. Allow to cool slightly.
- Put the flour, almonds, cocoa, baking powder and 1⁄4 tsp salt in a bowl and stir to remove any lumps. Using a hand whisk, mix the sugar into the melted chocolate mixture, and beat well until smooth and glossy, ensuring all the sugar is well dissolved. Stir in the flaxseed mixture and vanilla extract, the cherries and then the flour mixture. It will now be very thick. Stir until combined and spoon into the prepared tin. Bake for 35-45 mins until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean with moist crumbs. Allow to cool in the tin completely, then cut into squares. Store in an airtight container and eat within 3 days.