- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees with rack in center position.
- 2. Scrub and pat potatoes dry. Pierce potatoes all over with the tines of a fork and bake in oven, directly on rack, until soft and caramelizing, 1 1/2 hours.
- 3. Slash the tops of potatoes open with the tip of a sharp knife and push ends of each potato toward each other to open. Divide butter, salt, and pepper among potatoes and serve.