When it comes to a fresh fruit salsa, it can be used for so much more than just a bag of chips. This fresh cherry salsa is the perfect condiment for a summer appetizer or grilled entree.
- 2½ cups chopped, pitted fresh sweet cherries
- 1½ cups bite sized plumcot pieces
- ¾ cup chopped scallions (white and green part)
- ½ cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips
- ¼ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped poblano pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon lime zest
- ¼ teaspoon angostura bitters, optional
- In a medium bowl add the cherries and plumcots. Toss to mix. Add the scallions, basil, parsley, red onion and peppers. Toss to mix. Add the lime juice, sugar, garlic, salt, lime zest and bitters. Gently toss mixture. Cover bowl and chill salsa for one hour. Serve.