TipWhy Do We Celebrate Christmas on Dec. 25?
There are several reasons Christmas is celebrated on Dec. 25. The date is nine months after March 25, a day recognized by Christians as Annunciation. It was the day Mary was told she would was having a baby. The nine months that follow are an approximation of Jesus’ birth. Dec. 25 also coincides with pagan Winter Solstice celebrations like Saturnalia’ and Dies Natalis Solis Invicti. Since they were historically celebrated around that time of year there was precedent for holiday festivities during this time of year.
1 of 3
Next: What Does the Name ‘Christmas’ Mean and What Is the Meaning of Christmas?
TipWhat Does the Name ‘Christmas’ Mean and What Is the Meaning of Christmas?
Christmas is a shortened from the words “Christ’s mass.” It’s derived from the Middle English word “Cristemasse” which has Greek, Hebrew and Latin origins. Christmas is an annual holiday that honors the birth of Jesus Christ. It is celebrated by Christians around the world and is regarded as an important religious and cultural holiday.
2 of 3
Next: How Can We Celebrate Christmas?
TipHow Can We Celebrate Christmas?
Christmas is traditionally celebrated in many ways and celebrations vary across cultures. In the days leading up to Christmas, people usually put up special decorations including colorful lights and evergreen trees. Gifts are often placed under the tree and exchanged on Christmas day among loved ones. Large meals are also typically served as part of the celebration as well.
3 of 3
Next: Why Do We Celebrate Christmas on Dec. 25?
The ultimate snack mix is crunchy, sweet, and salty all at once. This one is loaded with pretzels, bagel chips, and sesame sticks coated in a buttery mixture of mustard and honey, and it fits the bill. What to buy: We used Colman’s mustard powder for this recipe. It can be found at most grocery stores. Game plan: The snack mix can be made up to 5 days ahead and stored at room temperature in an airtight container. This recipe was featured as part of both our Super Bowl Party Playbook menu and our Tailgating Recipes photo gallery. Big fan of honey mustard? Try it in a ham glaze.
- 7 cups plain bagel chips, broken in half
- 6 cups pretzel sticks
- 3 cups sesame sticks
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), melted
- 1 1/4 cups honey
- 3/4 cup mustard powder
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1Heat the oven to 375°F and arrange the racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- 2Mix together bagel chips, pretzel sticks, and sesame sticks in a large bowl until evenly combined; set aside.
- 3Mix together butter, honey, mustard powder, and salt in a medium bowl until smooth and well combined. Pour over pretzel mixture, stirring until evenly coated.
- 4Scatter snack mix in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets. Bake, stirring occasionally, until toasted and browned, about 20 minutes. Let cool to room temperature, then break into bite-size pieces.
- Share on Facebook
- Share on Reddit
- Save (140)