- 3 bunches Tuscan kale, rinsed and stems removed, cut into 1/4-inch-thick ribbons
- 1 small fennel bulb, shaved into thin ribbons
- 1 small leek, white part cut into 1/8-inch thick circles, soaked in water for 2 to 3 minutes to remove any dirt, then drained
- 4 red radishes, cut into thin circles
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup smoked almonds
- 1/2 cup Preserved Lemon Vinaigrette, recipe follows
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Oil, for frying eggs
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 shallot, chopped
- 1/2 preserved lemon, pulp discarded, rind only
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup pure olive oil
- Toss the kale, fennel, leek, radishes, Parmesan and almonds together with the lemon vinaigrette and season well with the salt and pepper. Allow this to marinate for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
- When ready to serve, heat a large saute pan over high heat and add oil. Once heated, add 2 to 3 eggs to the pan and cook sunny-side up for about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve on top of individually plated portions of slaw.
- Reserve any leftover dressing for serving. Any leftover salad will still be as good the next day.
- Place the shallot, preserved lemon rind, honey, lemon juice, vinegar, and salt and pepper in a blender. Pulse to blend. With the motor running, slowly add in the olive oils to emulsify. Taste for seasoning and adjust if needed.