- 1 pound bulk breakfast sausage
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk (do not use low-fat or nonfat)
- 1 1-pound package frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 8x8x2-inch glass baking dish. Cook sausage in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat until brown, breaking into small pieces with back of spoon, about 5 minutes. Mix in flour, then milk. Cook until mixture thickens and comes to boil, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Arrange potatoes in prepared dish. Top with 1/3 of green onions, 1 cup cheese, 1/3 of green onions, sausage mixture and remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
- Bake casserole until potatoes are tender, about 45 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining green onions and serve.