Use John Currence’s classic Southern gravy for smothering biscuits , with or without the fried chicken.
- 1/2 pound breakfast sausage
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt, Freshly ground pepper
- Cook sausage in a medium skillet over medium heat, breaking up into small pieces with the back of a spoon, until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes; set aside on a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour; stir until pale yellow, about 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium; continue to whisk until thick, about 10 minutes. Stir in drained sausage and red pepper flakes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Let cool completely, cover, and chill. Rewarm before serving.