Beautiful, light and slightly sweet rolls delicious with or without butter.
- 1 cup cooked sweet potato, mashed
- 2 cups buttermilk at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast (or 2 pkgs)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 7 cups bread flour
- Make sure all of your ingredients are at room temperature or slightly warm. In a large bowl whisk together the mashed sweet potato, buttermilk, egg, butter, sugar, salt and yeast. Allow mixture to sit for 5 minutes.
- Begin by stirring in the flour one cup at a time, mixing well after each addition. Continue stirring in flour until the dough becomes too stiff to continue stirring easily. Turn the dough out on to a floured surface and continue adding flour and begin kneading the dough until it becomes soft and smooth, kneading approximately 10 minutes total.
- Form the dough into smooth ball. Transfer to a well greased bowl, cover the bowl with parchment paper that you’ve sprayed lightly with cooking spray (to keep the dough from sticking to the paper when it rises), cover with a kitchen towel, set in a warm spot and allow to rise until it has doubled in bulk (usually about an hour).
- When dough has doubled, punch down with your fist and transfer to your lightly floured work surface. Cut the dough in half (I use a metal bench scraper), then cut each half into 8 – 10 equal pieces depending on the size of roll you want, setting the pieces aside on your surface. When all the pieces are cut, cover them with a towel and let them rest for 10 minutes before shaping.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and make sure two oven racks are situated in the middle of the oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Lightly flour your hands and shape each piece of dough into a ball by rolling between your palms. Make sure the tops of the rolls are smooth. Divide the rolls between the two baking sheets and cover with a towel. Let rolls rise for about 20 minutes, remove towel and bake in preheated oven for 20 – 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool on wire rack. Store in plastic zip-lock type bags until ready to serve. To re-warm, wrap gently in foil and heat for about 8 – 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven.